Attending appointments with a psychologist via telehealth became commonplace during the COVID-19 pandemic, however telehealth existed long before 2020, and continues to be an accessible, effective, and evidence-based way of engaging in therapy.
Studies have found that psychological therapy delivered by telehealth is just as effective as face-to-face therapy, and can even be more effective for some presentations (e.g. some forms of anxiety).
Other benefits of telehealth include:
- reduced time spent commuting – Telehealth sessions can be conducted from your home, car, or workplace – wherever you can find a comfortable and confidential space.
- reduced exposure to infectious diseases – Telehealth completely removes any risk of exposure to infectious diseases, such as COVID-19, cold, flu, and other infectious diseases, suitable for those with compromised immunity or chronic conditions.
- increased accessibility – If you live in an area in which face-to-face services are scarce (e.g. regional, rural, and remote areas of Australia), the option of telehealth vastly increases the service options available to you. PsychSessions also has psychologists amongst our teleclinic clinicians who have particular experience in this area (call us on 1300 084 006 for more details).
- international availability – If you are travelling for work or personal reasons, or are posted internationally, telehealth allows you to continue therapy uninterrupted with the one clinician. (Medicare rebates are not available to clients located internationally).
- increased generalisation of skills learnt in therapy – Practicing new skills in session with your psychologist is one thing, however clinicians at PsychSessions encourage clients to practice their skills between sessions, as it is between sessions in the rest of a client’s life where real change can be made. Attending sessions via telehealth can help this generalisation of skills, as you are attending the session in the environment in which skills are to be practiced between sessions.
PsychSessions uses PowerDiary for our telehealth appointments, secure software offering video and audio transmission with end-to-end encryption. All you need to participate in telehealth sessions is a computer or smart phone with a camera, speaker, and microphone. Upon booking your first telehelath appointment, our reception staff will send you a unique link which you can use for all of your telehealth appointments – simply click the link at the time of your appointment, and you will enter a waiting room from which you will connect with your clinician.
If you do not have a computer or smart phone with camera, speaker, and microphone capabilities, we are also able to offer appointments over the phone.
PsychSessions acknowledges the traditional owners of the lands upon which our clinicians practice, and pays respect to Elders past, present, and emerging.